Andreas Kuhlmann was appointed dena's Chief Executive in July 2015. In this position he has increased dena’s profile as a driver and pioneer of the energy transition. Exemplary projects include the international innovation initiative “Start Up Energy Transition”, which now brings together around a thousand start-ups from all over the world, as well as the “Integrated Energy Transition” pilot study, whereby dena, together with more than 50 partners from business and science, is developing strategies for the future.
Andreas Kuhlmann sees the energy transition as one of the most fascinating change processes of the present day, which, in addition to challenges, above all also brings with it opportunities. In this sense, he injects his knowledge of the diverse national and international projects acquired at the interface of business and politics to the energy and climate policy debate. He also promotes more courage and determination in shaping the regulatory frameworks necessary for the success of the energy transition.
Andreas Kuhlmann (born in Recklinghausen in 1967, catholic, married, one daughter) majored in physics and minored in economics at the universities of Bonn, Heidelberg and Corvallis (USA). He started his career in 1995 at the Institute of Environmental Physics at Ruprecht-Karls University in Heidelberg, where he primarily focused on the carbon cycle. This was followed by various political posts, including at the European Parliament, with the Social Democratic Party of Germany (SPD), at the Bundestag, within the Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs and at the German Embassy in Stockholm.
In 2010, Andreas Kuhlmann joined the German Association of Energy and Water Industries (BDEW), where he managed the Politics and Economics departments as the Director of Strategy and Politics. In this position, he was responsible for the strategic and political development of the BDEW as well as its communications with politics, business and the public.
Andreas Kuhlmann is also:
- Spokesman of the “Allianz für Gebäude-Energie-Effizienz” (geea) – “Alliance for Building Energy Efficiency”
- Member of the Secretariat of the World Energy Council (Germany)
- Member of the Global Future Council of the World Economic Forum for the Future of Energy (term 2016-2018)
- Member of the Standing Committee of the Central Committee of German Catholics (ZdK) “Economic and Social Affairs”
- Member of the board of the Energy Academy
- Founder of the Meetup group “The Energy Market Revolution. Be part of it!”
- Member of the Atlantic Bridge
- Advisor to Project Drawdown
- Member of the Advisory Council of the Society of Benefactors of the Institute of Energy Economics at the University of Cologne e. V.